Successful ServiceNow implementations and integrations within organizations are dependent on ServiceNow professionals to make it a reality. However, finding qualified ServiceNow talent that meets business’ goals is often a real challenge. ServiceNow is a very niche, specific and in-demand skillset. Therefore, there isn’t a large pool of idle candidates on demand.
As a ServiceNow Gold Services Partner, we understand the need for recruiting, employing and expanding top ServiceNow talent within your organization. With the industry shortage of talent, obtaining ServiceNow professionals can be a challenge. Here’s our tips for recruiting, screening and training ServiceNow professionals.
Top ServiceNow Staffing Qualifications
When recruiting top ServiceNow candidates, it’s important to outline the specific skills, qualities and characteristics you’re looking for them to possess. The ServiceNow platform is continuously advancing and improving, so you’ll want to recruit talent that is motivated and eager to learn what the next release entails. Here are some insider tactics for recruiting top talent:
- Partnering with select universities to provide the required talent: establish a relationship with on-campus presence and a regular pipeline of required skills and future skills
- Offer current employee incentives to refer and place talent: $x, xxx for each referral with an additional $x, xxx if the person is hired
- Develop a strong internal (perhaps externally sourced) training curriculum for existing or new employees: regularly available courses to bring employees up to speed over time on required technologies
- Ensure the current recruiting standards are appropriately set for the level of talent required: are standards over engineered for certain positions?
- Create a plan that ensures current talent is retained
- Partner with a leading IT contracting firm to recruit talent: engage with one or two firms specifically to continually bring the right talent in for review and hiring
In addition to recruiting tactics, here are some essential experiences and characteristics to look for in a candidate that will help increase your organization’s capabilities within the robust ServiceNow platform.
- ServiceNow Certifications and Accreditations are an easy way to gain insight into the candidate’s ServiceNow capabilities and skills. An individual who has invested their time and energy into obtaining certifications and accreditations is someone who adds instant value to your organization.
- Expanded platform experience include ITOM, CSM, CMDB, Incident, Discovery, Asset, Orchestration, ServiceWatch, etc.
- A personal ServiceNow Developer Instance
- Ability to perform integrations and develop automations using ServiceNow Orchestration
- Working knowledge of LDAP, VPN, SSL and other skills may be foundational to certified developers
- Individuals who are active within the ServiceNow community. Candidates who regularly attend SNUG (User Groups) and stays up to date on their Slack channels, Twitter feed, news, etc. shows a desire for learning and staying in the know.
- A deep passion and devotion for the ServiceNow platform
With ServiceNow staffing, hiring leaders must have the ability to accurately assess the candidate’s understanding of the platform beyond their resume and certifications. Ideally, your goal should be to find a candidate who possesses all of the above skills and traits. If not, use your best judgment. The key factor is having a structured viewpoint of your organization’s goals for ServiceNow, methodologies, and processes. Without that, you’re risking your a costly hiring mistake.
Screening Process for ServiceNow Staffing
Now that you’ve obtained a talent pool of qualified prospects, it’s essential to make sure they are a good fit for your organization. Having a thorough screening process for hiring new employees can be the difference between finding the best possible candidate and making a costly, poor hiring decision. While technical proficiency is a great starting point for deciding if a candidate will work for your team, you’ll also want to make sure you find an individual capable of taking concepts or goals and developing them into plans that will work within your organization. The screening process for ServiceNow staffing should confirm the candidate’s qualifications.
At InSource, our mission is to not only to find the most qualified candidate but also one who are the best fit for your organization’s culture, needs and goals through a thorough screening process. Some aspects of our screening process include:
- Create a proficiency model to measure both hard and soft skills, from technical capabilities to proactive thinking and resourcefulness.
- Conduct a technical skill set assessment challenge to test their ability to think on their feet and work within your team. Also, this will help gauge the proficiency of their expertise.
- In-person interviews are often an easy way to assess how a candidate will fit within your organization via nonverbal cues like eye contact, expressions, and gestures.
- Consider obtaining internal team input
- Reference checks can be critical as they provide insight into how a candidate has performed in the past and how they may perform.
Armed with clear specifications for the candidate you are looking for, along with the opinions of your team will provide strong standards for identifying the best possible ServiceNow professional for achieving your business goals. Partnering with InSource for ServiceNow staffing allows you access to top qualified talent in the industry who can make a long-term positive impact on your organization.
Improving ServiceNow Skills Through Training
While our thorough recruiting process should produce a team of top quality candidates, further training and experienced may be necessary. The key to maintaining and growing top ServiceNow talent is to keep skills sharp and continuously advancing.
Here are two ways you can improve your employee’s ServiceNow Skills:
- Embrace continuous learning and internal development within your company culture. ServiceNow is constantly evolving and advancing causing skills to become stale if not continually updating quickly.
- Provide further ServiceNow training opportunities for your employees. At InSource, we’ve developed relevant, convenient and cost-effective hands-on ServiceNow training methods can be customized to meet your organization’s specific needs, goals and values. Our hands-on, interactive training courses will empower your team with the necessary knowledge and skills to improve overall productivity and efficiency. ServiceNow training programs provide a safe, non-production environment to develop a detailed understanding of concepts including administration and configuration to Fulfiller process and end user training. Check out our upcoming ServiceNow training courses
If you are an organization in need of ServiceNow talent and IT staffing services, contact us today to find out how InSource can expand your IT team with top talent and ServiceNow training.
If you are a technology worker seeking employment, please visit our careers page to see a full list of the positions we are looking to place.